Wednesday, October 6, 2010

If only I would think before I speak

I kinda want to take back something I said in the last class. When Professor Wexler asked us to come up with a modern day myth, I said that the movie Avatar could be one. But after thinking about it, I think Avatar is too modern. There is no history to it. It isn't something we have grown up with, it hasn't become part of our culture. Sure, it has some lessons or morals, but it is a story at this point, and not necessarily a myth.
So if I had to choose another mythological figure in our culture, I suppose Madonna could be considered mythological. She represents different values than other mythological women of the past, she reflects some values that our society holds. For example, female empowerment and sexual freedom. She is referenced and remade in other aspects of popular culture. I just watched an episode of Glee that kind of touched on her mythological, larger than life nature.
I feel a little better now.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Ms. Nicole I like your comment about Madonna, she has an huge impact on society. Madonna is not afraid of change and then I thought about your comment a bit more. Madonna is too successful to be considered a myth,I think that her legacy will live forever and people in 2525 will be talking about her in present tense. Madonna has done everything! With status like her's,she will be a future iconic example, this is just my POV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree that i am still not hitting the nail on the head. Maybe we could give her 200 years to get to mythological status, right?

    ReplyDelete