Tuesday, October 12, 2010

the virgins

Last week I went for a hike near Las Virgenes Canyon. I had a water bottle, camera, apple, and my mythology book in my backpack. I hiked for about an hour and then found a quiet spot to read. The story I chose was from "The Female Divine" chapter, titled "Callisto and Arcas," which is from Ovid's Metamorphoses. Well, was that a disturbing story, or what?! I was so unassuming when I started the story; just sitting alone, relaxed, ready to read a story of a powerful goddess. But all I got was a tale of rape. Lame and depressing. Callisto was raped by Jove and then banished by Diana. This story sucks, because as a hunter, Callisto was hunted by Jove, and then she was turned into a bear by jealous Juno and she was still hunted by man. The hunter becoming the hunted, how ironic.

Then I realized I was hiking around "Las Virgenes" (the virgins) which I found to be funny. So after that emotional journey, I learned something about mythology and constellations and my hike wasn't ruined after all.



This video contains a condensed version of the story. It seems someone posted it to promote some Third Eye Blind album, so just ignore the ending.

But I suggest you read "Callisto and Arcas" in the myth book. It is tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment