Thursday, September 30, 2010


That whole poetry writing experience wasn't too bad after all. I didn't force myself to write a Sonnet, which would have been too contrived and lame. I also didn't take the easy way out and write 2 Haiku's. I am proud of what I wrote, and that it was relevant to my experience. It actually felt pretty good reciting "The Excremental Qualities of Poetry" in front of the the class too, which surprised me. And it really made me smile using potty humor in my poem. I hope my students will surprise themselves with poetry one day as well.

I truly enjoyed reading and listening to everyone else's poems. I feel that although our class may be quiet alot of the time, there is still alot of depth to everyone. Introverts unite!

So for this week, we are studying mythology.I haven't come close to finishing the reading, but I am still learning alot about the female divine. For example, in the past I had heard of a concert tour called "Lillith Fair" that I heard celebrates women. Now as a result of this assignment, I actually know what (actually who) it is named after.

The myth about her is that she was Adam's (the one who was with Eve) first wife who was "coeval and coequal with him." She became upset with him when he wanted her to lie underneath him for sex. She had once recieved magical powers by tricking a god, and he gave her wings so she could fly from Eden. She is said to have appeared in the desert to travellers and tricked people by tickling their feet and then strangling them to death.
Why isn't she in THE Bible?
Why was she not part of that mythology?
Overall, these new, female dieties are fascinating to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment